Thursday, July 29, 2004

Hellboy

Hellboy is one fun movie.

I've been sorely dissappointed with most comic book to move flicks in the past (well, I consider Spiderman about as much of a comic as Superman: Supersaturated.) This is one fits the bill through and through. From consistent action, sillyness, over the top necessities of a larger than life film, and even a satisfying ending.

Did I mention I liked the affects? The strong biblical and mythological references seemed a bit much, and Tam felt a lot of the action was cliche, but I didn't care.

I really liked that they kept in comic book factors such as "My kittens! Someone save them! ... they're all I have!"

I wonder if these comics are published only in comic books or graphic novels. As the IMDB review said, I'd like to find out more of the backstory. I didn't care that the villain lady didn't get much air time. She was too obnoxious bad-ass for my tastes. I hope there's a sequel. Would it be good if it were done by Sam Raimi. This one is tight enough that it would be easy to screw up, but many of the hero characters seem solid, and another round of villains would be fun. If I were a betting man I'd guess that they would pull a Highlander. Sucky sequal, decent III. By the time a TV series comes out there will be a completely brand new medium which will be well suited for a series. Maybe Terri Gilliam could pull it off. Hellboy: The road trip. Hellboy: The `nam years.

Looking forward to what Abe has to say on this one. Think movie-nighters should escelate this one.

5 Comments:

Blogger Vaeric said...

I really liked this movie. For everything that I bitched about Spider-Man 2, this movie made up for. In Hellboy we understood the relationship between Hellboy and Liz fairly quickly and it was shown to us in fun ways as a comic should. I thought the effects fit the movie very well. And effect movies like this always look good because the main characters are already larger than life. Once we are use to watching a big red demon and a fish man carrying around as lead characters, then it's fairly easy to let other bigger than life beasts become more realistic. As with spider-man. Everything about the movie is realistic, while in the midst of the realism, we have a guy flying through the air on webs. Our sense of the world in the movie isn't set for a believable comic book world setting. Even the Batman movies were better at bringing to life characters from the comics due to the settings the movies took place in.

So yeah, I really like the movie. Being a Ron Perlman fan helped some, too, but wasn't needed.

July 30, 2004 at 8:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done!
[url=http://owhtaaij.com/onfc/mtmw.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://tbyjdezv.com/cerc/prmy.html]Cool site[/url]

September 13, 2006 at 11:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice site!
My homepage | Please visit

September 13, 2006 at 11:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done!
http://owhtaaij.com/onfc/mtmw.html | http://lphjnwpr.com/phum/pjgm.html

September 13, 2006 at 11:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done!
[url=http://owhtaaij.com/onfc/mtmw.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://tbyjdezv.com/cerc/prmy.html]Cool site[/url]

September 13, 2006 at 11:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home