Sunday, June 27, 2004

Garfield

Saw this one at the outdoor despite hearing of horrid reviews, one of which was "You'll yearn for The Cat in the Hat". The movie certainly wasn't excellent, rather hurried and missing something, but I was NOT yearning for The Cat.

The cast assignment seemed appropriate. Bill Murray can't quite shine as he does in person.

They worked very hard to get tons of the comic strip story factors into the movie, while actually giving a different perspective on a few of the more consistently depressing ones. Imagine a Peanuts movie where Chuck actually get's to kick the football, or throw a no-hitter, and he actually get's to second base. Don't expect Garfield to shine as any character example for your kids...somehow I kept imagining him as an example of those capitalism rationalizations (You know "selfishness can be good..") which just didn't click with how I want my kids to treat there siblings.

Wait for the $1 rental, then enjoy it with kids or your sister who collected all those rectangular Garfield comic strips.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

>> Imagine a Peanuts movie where Chuck actually ... gets to second base.

um, interesting, I don't remember him even getting to first base with the Red-haired girl (or Peppermint Patty in your case since you seem to be a patty person, calling him Chuck and all). (its too bad there aren't football terms that have a double meaning that I could also twist, oh well)

I didn't see Cat in the Hat, and I ain't gonna see Garfield either; but now with your review I know which one to prefer to watch if I was ever forced to choose between the two on pain of death.

June 27, 2004 at 2:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home