Sunday, May 15, 2005

House of Wax

So it appears that a lot of people hated this film from the reviews on Rotten Tomatoes. I'd have to disagree. Not vehemently disagree, but still disagree that it was a piece of crap that so many labeled it as. First off, so many already panned this film because Paris Hilton is in it. I didn't go to see it for her, I was just dying for a new horror film to go see. So once people get over the whole "OMG, Paris is a slut" thing, we'll all be better off and not have to read reviews revolving around only caring how Paris gets killed.

Now, the movie is in no way shape or form an Oscar contender. Hell, I don't remember the last horror/slasher film I saw that I was truly artistically wowed by. I don't think they even exist. When I go to see a horror flick I only expect a few things, lots of blood, guts, screaming, I have to wince at least once (I have low wincing standards, but it's hard to come up with original death scenes these days.), and yat least one laugh out loud part would be nice. I don't expect the acting to be top notch, although I do expect some level of believable main characters. There were too many instances where one of the main characters (well after being established), would do something totally out of character. He's established as the "nice" boyfriend but then randomly would act like a total ass. It jolted his character and pissed me off more than anything else in this movie. But beyond that, there was a lot of good wincing and "awww, man..." type scenes that were nicely filled with blood and other disgusting bits. Actually one other thing that was disappointing; the movie took way too long to get moving. Too much set up started leading me to think there wasn't going to be enough time for any real carnage. But like I said, it had enough to make me happy.

So if you're not one who likes teen slasher movies then you'll straight up hate this movie. If you aren't really picky like I am when it comes to horror, then you'll have fun.

I give it 2.5 fingertips out of 5 fingertips clipped off with a wirecutter.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

October 28, 2005 at 12:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home